We here at 10centimeters aren’t against natural birth. Several of us have even had one. We’re not even against homebirth, given the right woman and the right midwife! We support women who choose to give birth without pain relief, women who choose c-sections, women who can’t have children, women who adopt children, and women who choose not to have children at all. What we don’t support is the way the way the leaders of the natural birth movement try to shame women into having a very specific kind of birth using misinformation, half-truths, and occasionally outright lies. We also don’t support sanctimommies bashing women for their choices. We, however, DO NOT CARE how any individual chooses to give birth.
What are we for?
- Better training and stricter clinical standards for homebirth midwives in the US
- Mandatory malpractice insurance for all homebirth midwives
- Mandatory reporting of outcomes and better recording (i.e., no planned homebirth transfers counted in hospital stats, no unintentional homebirths counted in planned homebirth stats)
- Real evidence-based maternity care, with the understanding that science/medicine changes practices as the body of evidence changes
- Open and honest discussion without stifling one viewpoint under the guise of not wanting to scare people or being “supportive”